Monday, March 17, 2014

Carnitas - My Favorite !


 I love Carnitas !   This is  what I usually order at my favorite Mexican restaurant.     Subconsciously, I was hoping this dish wouldn't turn out, then I could keep returning to the restaurant to order it... but it did turn out really well and the flavors are great !

Ingredients

about 3-4 lbs of pork shoulder


1 Tb  gray salt
1 TB ground ancho chile pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, dried
4 garlic cloves
2-3 TB olive oil
gray sea salt salt and  cracked pepper

1 orange, cut into quarters
2 cups beef broth

bunch of cilantro, 1/4 cup
1 green pepper, sliced
3 tomatoes, quartered


Oven 350f 

How To:

Rub the pork with the olive oil, sprinkle the ancho chile, cumin, oregano, salt and cracked pepper over the meat, rub into the meat.

In a dutch oven, on stove top, heat some oil, add the pork and cook until each side is dark and crispy.

The to the dutch oven, add the orange pieces, beef broth.

Cook covered for 2 hours or until fork tender. Easy to pull apart.

For the last 30 minutes, I turned the oven up to 400f degrees.  Then added the cilantro, tomatoes, green pepper and onions.  I drizzled a little more olive oil over top.

*** I didn't let the juice on the bottle of totally evaporate- juicy pork is always better than dried pork

Serve with warm tortillas.. no salsa required !

Enjoy Every Bite !

3 comments:

  1. What’s not to love with this meaty and mouthwatering Mexican dish? I’m sure your creation is almost as good, or even better, than those you order in your favorite restaurant. Congrats for being able to recreate it, and thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra’s Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words ! This is really one of my favorites !

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to try this tomorrow. And love the blog!

    ReplyDelete