Monday, September 14, 2009

Canadian Butter Tart ... Pie




In Canada, on the east coast anyway, you can always find a good butter tart but I have not seen one in the USA. I am not much of a baker, results from baking usually are poor , especially if it involves flour as the main ingredient. Can you say brick ! My Mom would send me butter tarts in the mail so I could have my fix but they don't travel well. Von's grocery store use to carry really good already prepared tart shells but they stopped... argh !! I hate when that happens. What could I do then ... start making pastry dough? No, turn it into a pie... after all, the shell is made for me. You don't have a big slice of this pie, it's very sweet.


INGREDIENTS :


1 good quality pie shell crust, or if you are a baker, homemade would be better.
1 ½ cup of golden raisins
½ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup light corn syrup
½ tsp salt 3 eggs, beat lightly
2 tsp of good vanilla


HOW TO :
- In a pot, combine raisins, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Heat over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar is disolved - Don't boil.


- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, then eggs a little at a time and stir vigorously after each addition so the eggs don't cook.


- I bake in a 325°F convection oven for about 45-55 mintues. I just keep my eye on it . Times have varied for me in the past. How I can tell it's done is when it foams and when I move the pie it jiggles like jello, not liquid... sounds silly but thats the non-baker in me.



Keep chilled !


I serve homemade whipped cream with it.





No comments:

Post a Comment