Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Orange Panna Cotta with Rhubarb Port Sauce



I love Panna Cotta ! It's one of my favorite desserts and I like to experiment with different flavors and sauces. I had bought some rhubard the day before to stew with sugar to go over vanilla ice cream. I thought the rhubard would make a good sauce and while the was getting the sugar out, I saw a bottle of Port that a friend had given us. This is what I made


INGREDIENTS :
1/4 c warm water
1 packet of gelatin , unflavored
2 cup heavy cream
1/3 c sugar
1TB orange extract

HOW TO :

-In a small bowl, add warm water and sprinkle the gelatin into the water and wait 5 minutes for it to disolve.


- In a pot, heat the cream and sugar over medium heat until the sugar disolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the gelatin to the cream and stir until the gelatin is disolved into the cream.


- Add the orange extract


- Pour the cream mixture into four well oiled metal molds almost to the top. I use vegetable oil, this makes the panna cotta slide out easily.


- Chill for about 2 hours for it to set.

While the panna cotta is chilling, prepare the rhubard sauce.
Rhubard Port Sauce

- Dice up rhubard to equal 3 cups, put into a medium pot

- add 1 cup of sugar - I know, it's a lot, but it's suppose to be, it's dessert !

- add 1/3 cup of water

-cook over medium heat until the rhubard starts to break up, I cooked it about 20-25 minutes

- when ready to take off the heat, add 1/4 cup of Port

- Put a strainer over a large bowl and pour in the rhubard and let the liquid collect in the bowl below

- Chill the Rhubarb sauce.
** save the rhubard pulp for another treat with ice cream.

PLATE IT :
- After two hours, invert the mold onto a plate, the panna cotta should slide out easily. If not, help it by running the tip of a knife around to loosen sides.
- Pour the Rhubard sauce over the top of panna cotta. Serve.
Enjoy Every Bite

No comments:

Post a Comment