Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ahi Tuna Appetizers - Two Ways

Ahi Tuna is one of my favorite things to have as an appetizer when I am dining out.. if it's on the menu - I'm trying it. I wanted to create something that I could make at home and enjoy without having to go to a restaurant, so here's what I came up with. They are two completely taste but I am really loving the Asian one the best. The Ginger Plum Sauce was an after thought. I was shopping at one of my favorite markets "World Food Market" ( Heaven on earth for me) and saw some sugar plums( I thought these were just in fairytales) and knew I could probably do something with them. While making the Asian Ahi Tuna I thought Ginger Plum sauce would accent the tuna quite nicely... and it did !

Mexican Ahi Tuna


INGREDIENTS :
Ahi tuna, diced, I used half of a filet, the filet was about 3/4 of a lb
1/2 tsp cumin
1 TB fresh squeezed lime juice
kosher salt
2-3 TB black bean ( use fresh cooked black beans, canned black beans - OK)
1 green onion, sliced thin

Corn tortilla, cut 1-2 circle, deep fried until crisp


Avocada Sauce
1/2 avocado, masked
1/2 lime juice
4-6 TB of Mexican Crema ( or use sour cream, thin out with half n half)
Fine shreded red cabbage, chopped cilantro, lime juice -toss together

How To :
Prepare Avocado cream sauce.
Deep fry tortilla rounds.

In a bowl, add Ahi Tuna, black beans, lime juice. green onion and cumin, pinch of kosher salt.

Put 1-2 Tb of tuna on tortilla, add a small dollop of avocado cream sauce and top with cabbage slaw.



Asian Ahi Tuna

Ingredients :
1/2 c Ahi tuna, diced
1 TB sesame oil
1 TB sweet soy sauce
1 TB Ponzu sauce
1 1/2 inch wonton squres, deep fry until crisp.
black sesame seeds, sprinkle
white sesame seeds, sprinkle
green onion, sliced thin, diagonally

Ginger Plum Sauce

about 6 sugar plums
1 big TB of fresh ginger - I use the minced ginger in a tube.
2 TB sugar
2 TB water
Peel plums, remove pit. Add plum pulp to pot, add sugar and ginger. Simmer on low until plum breaks down.

Remove from heat, pour in bowl and chill.

How To :
Prepare, Plum ginger sauce
Deep fry wonton squares.

In a bowl add Ahi tuna, sweet soy, sesame, ponzu sauce, green onion. Mix

On each wonton crisp top with 1-2 TB Ahi tuna, drizzle some of the ginger plum sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and top with a few of the green onions.


Serve and Enjoy Every bite !

No comments:

Post a Comment