Monday, August 30, 2010

Lamb Tagine & Couscous

I have had my Tagine (clay pot) for over a year... maybe longer. I thought it was about time I made something in it ! I love Moroccan food and love lamb. Here it is - my first tagine !

INGREDIENTS :
1 lb lamb chunks

1 onion

1 Tb mince garlic

1 tsp cardamon

1 tsp ginger

1 TB tumeric

good pinch of saffron

1 Tsp cumin

2 TB paprika

1 TB cinnamon

1 can diced tomatoes


1 cup chick peas, cooked according to direction on package. 

1/2 cup chopped dried apricot

Small bunch cilantro, chopped

1 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup preserved lemons chopped, sliced (optional but adds a unique flavor)

salt and pepper

olive oil

HOW TO :
In a pan with olive oil. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
* I heated the ingredients on a pan on stove and not in the tagine.. I love my tagine and didn't want to risk having it break on an open flame. I'm sure it would have been OK.
In the tagine or in a pan that browned the lamb, add onions, garlic and all the spices. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Mix.
In the tagine, add the lamb and the spice tomato mixture.
Add remaining ingredients - chick peas apricots, cilantro, chicken broth, lemons, salt and pepper
Cook in 350 convection oven for about 90 minutes or until lamb is tender and sauce has thicken.


Couscous :
Plain couscous, cooked according to package - Boil water, turn off and add couscous , then add 1/2 cup currants, 3 TB taosted pine nuts, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 TB butter, 1 TB olive oil. Mix and Cover. When ready to serve - fluff with a fork.

CONFESSION :
I used canned chick peas because making the lamb tagine was an impulsive dinner.  In planning ahead of time... go for the dreid chick peas !


Enjoy Every Bite !

No comments:

Post a Comment