Sunday, September 6, 2015

Lebanese chicken and rice

 
  
This has been one of my favorite things to make for about 25 years.  It's probably one of the first international dishes I ever made. It is based on a Lebanese restaurant I used to go to frequently.  It is loaded with spices and there is so much flavor in this juicy chicken.  It always satisfies myself and guests .... and I even get requests to make it.  SIMPLE is the key word here.

Here is what you need

Chicken pieces - I always use thighs and drumsticks - bone in. As many as you need, at least two pieces per person.  If you are making more than 8 pieces... double the marinade amount.

For the marinade :

1 TB smoked paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 TB onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 TB fresh minced garlic - I used the jarred kind in oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
 juice of one lemon
1/4 cup of olive oil.

Mix all ingredients together, I will look like a oily paste.  Pour over chicken pieces, toss around to get each piece coated.    **  make sure chicken is dry, pat down with paper towels first.

Cut a couple of slit across each piece of chicken, it gets the spices inside.


Bake in 375 oven for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven.  Check a piece for doneness.. no pink.

Serve with Lebanese rice and pickled vegetable.

Let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.. the longer the better.


















No comments:

Post a Comment