Saturday, October 17, 2009

Classic French Onion Soup

This is the first time I have made French Onion Soup. I really haven't been a big fan of this soup or maybe I just took it for granted that it would be a soup I would try to make someday, kind of like Chicken Noodle Soup.
Again, I read over several different recipes of Onion soup and choose things I liked about a couple of them. The taste was amazing and I was now impressed with this classic soup. Will definitely make it again.
Ingredients :
1 sweet onion, cut in half, slice thinly
1 red onion, cut in half, slice thinly
4 TB Butter
3 Tb Olive Oil
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB flour
2 cup beef broth, (I used Wolfgang Puck Beef broth)
1/2 cup White Wine
1/4 tsp Thyme
1 Tsp Garlic
1 tsp Kosher salt, season according to taste
1tsp cracked black pepper
1 cup Gruyere Cheese
4 slices of baguette

In a pan, melt butter and add olive oil. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until onions become translucent.
Spinkle with Brown sugar and tsp of salt and pepper, cook until onions become golden.
Sprinkle with flour and combine well, cook over medium-low heat until flour becomes brown.
Pour in Beef broth and wine, raise the heat and bring to a boil.
Add Thyme and garlic
Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low let the liquid reduce and become slightly thicken.

** I haven't had many onions soups but the ones I have had were really watery. I let the liquid boil off some until it thickened.

While that is cooking, cut four slices of baguette and brush both sides with olive oil, bake in over until the bread is golden and crisp.
Pour the soup into two ramekins or onion soup bowls.
Place two slices of bread on top of the soup and top with shredded Gruyere.
Broil in over until the cheese has melted.

Serve and Enjoy Every Bite !

No comments:

Post a Comment